Bensons Cook Book
Apple Cinnamon Rolls
- 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup organic evaporated cane juice sugar (or regular white granulated sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 packet of active yeast
For the filling
- 2 medium apples, chopped into small cubes (about 1 1/2 cups chopped)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 cup of butter, melted (2 sticks)
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 1/3 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple extract (or pure vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup milk
- To prepare the dough, heat milk, oil and cane sugar for 5-8 minutes (do not boil). Pour milk into a large mixing bowl and let it reach lukewarm temperatures (to the touch) for about 10 minutes.
- Once milk is lukewarm to the touch, sprinkle packet of yeast on top and let it set for one minute. After a minute has passed, pour in four cups of flour and mix until incorporated nicely. Cover bowl with a clean kitchen towel and let dough rise for one hour in a relatively warm area.
- After one hour, mix in last 1/2 cup of flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
For the filling
- Heat up 1 cup of butter and brown it. Be watchful not to burn the butter by looking out for the center of the boiling butter. When the center forms a caramel color quickly remove it from the stove-top and set aside. Then in a small bowl mix brown sugar and cinnamon together and have chopped apples in a separate bowl.
- Place dough onto a well floured surface and begin to roll it into a thin, long rectangle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once filling components are ready, spoon 1/2 of melted browned butter onto rolled out dough and spread evenly with spoon. Then evenly sprinkle on brown sugar and cinnamon mixture, followed by chopped apples. Take long end, closest to you, and start to tightly roll dough with filling (try to keep the roll as tight as possible). Once dough and filling has been rolled into a log, pinch the seams shut. Using a sharp knife, slice 1 1/2 inch slices and place into a greased baking pan. Try not to overcrowd. Drizzle remaining 1/2 cup of melted browned butter evenly over the cinnamon rolls.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
For the frosting
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter and pour into a medium bowl. Mix in powdered sugar, salt, milk and maple extract until smooth.
- Pour frosting evenly over cinnamon rolls.
- Serve warm.