Bensons Cook Book
Pan Seared Scallops with Cider Glaze
The delicately sweet flavor and tender texture of scallops are undeniably appealing and pair perfectly with fragrant cider.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 32 sea scallops
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup dry champagne
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- In a large, heavy skillet over high heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter with olive oil.
- Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Add scallops to the skillet and sauté until cooked through, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer scallops to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm. (Do not clean the skillet.)
- Add the cider, champagne, maple syrup, and shallots to the skillet; boil until liquid is reduced to about half.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter, whipping cream, and thyme.
- Boil until mixture is reduced to sauce consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Return scallops to the skillet.
- Stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Divide the sauce and scallops among plates.